Saturday, March 10, 2012

Community

This past week we've seen a lot of rain. Like A LOT! It flooded pretty bad yesterday, which was actually awesome because my classes got canceled. In between storms I went for a run and saw something that struck me as profound. See, down Iosepa street there is this super nice house that was recently built. The family that lives there owns Iosepa electric and apparently has done pretty well with it. Yesterday during the lull between the storms I saw the Iosepa electric truck guy, kids in tow, going around , filled with sand, stopping at each house and shoveling it into those oarange bags. I don't know if this was like a community assigned duty or if they were getting paid in some way, but something tells me they weren't. Either way there was a sense of community there that made me wonder if I had missed out on something, growing up in Suburbia. I know I am lucky to be a member of the Church and have community through the ward, but I can't help but think about the fact that I barely knew my neighbors growing up ( except Lyssy) and that I probably would not be comfortable holding a conversation with any of my parents neighbors now. Seems like maybe small town has some perks. Sure it might take a flood to bring them to the foreground, but it sure did make me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a videographer located in Goodyear, Arizona. Visit my site storiestoldmedia.com to check out my best work and the Stories Told blog.

Followers